lost much of desktop after installing updates

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 07:49:24 UTC 2007

On 8/12/07, Rob Lytle <fluffywhitecllouds at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list, but not Ubuntu.  I did a fresh install of 7.04 last
> night on this now Windowsless computer (yay!).   When I was finished and
> rebooted the screen looked normal with hard drive icons.  I seem to remember
> the dock having what looked like the usual icons.
>
> Then I was notified that there were 111 updates.  So I installed them.
> Now my Gnome screen is totally iconless and the doc looks like its missing
> icons.    What happened?
>
> Thanks,  Rob

You need to reload your icon cache. You can try this method.
Somewhat there's a bug in the updates that doesn't do this.

<code>
for i in /usr/share/icons/*
do
gtk-update-icon-cache --force $i
done
</code>

"object-oriented programming is really just a common sense extension of
structured programming" - Roger Sessions