lost much of desktop after installing updates

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sun Aug 12 14:46:02 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 07:02 -0700, Rob Lytle wrote:
> Now my Gnome screen is totally iconless

It's actually normal that there are no drive icons. Therefore, I will
assume for now that your installation is not broken. In Ubuntu's Gnome,
you go to the "Places" menu to access stuff (which makes sense since
this menu is never covered by windows, unlike the desktop).

If you really want drive icons, press Alt+F2 and run gconf-editor. In
the folder tree on the left, navigate to /apps/nautilus/deskop and check
"volumes_visible"