Dell Optiplex 745 - Broadcom 5754 NIC

ubuntu at wheatonma.edu ubuntu at wheatonma.edu
Wed Aug 8 17:47:03 UTC 2007

Chris,

I heard back from my end user about the suggestions you mentioned
regarding the Broadcom 5754 NIC, below is his response. Any suggestions
you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I ran these commands....
sudo modprobe tg3
doesn't choke, but ifconfig doesn't change - eth0 does not appear. And
ifconfig eth0
says device not found.

This is very strange, as tg3.ko is where you said it is, and seems to be
ok, in that in loading it, nothing bad happens.

I also added it at the end of the /etc/modules file to see if rebooting
would do it.  Nope.

one more thing: I'm currently running 7.04 Feisty Fawn Alternate, hoping
that that version would have more drivers.  I can re-install regular
Feisty Fawn 7.04 if that would help.