Long Time Samba No Work-Need Expert Help On SAmba/Networking-Ahhh, Some Success

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 1 07:27:09 UTC 2007

Well Bruce, just told NoOp that you hadn't replied to
my questions.  Spoke too soon, didn't I.

> On Tuesday 31 July 2007, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > > [root]    +++  added all of the below
> > >       path = /
> > >       force group = users
> > >       writable = yes
> > >       public = yes
> > >       force user = bmarsh
> > >       guest ok = yes
> > >       read only = No
> >
> > Hey Bruce,
> > Thanks for sharing your smb.conf. Not sure it
> would
> > have helped me in my original problem as it is so
> > different from the default and has no netbios name
> > entry which what fixed me.  Do have some questions
> if
> > you don't mind.
> >
> > 1. What is 192.168.0.3 IP of? Before I solved my
> issue
> > I had to enter the IP for my WixXP machine in
> > interfaces before ubuntu would even list the
> shares in
> > windows.  After the fix with the netbios name
> entry
> > only lo and eth0 are in interfaces and everything
> > works. So what does 192.168.0.3 IP represent?
>
> The 192.168.0.3  is the LAN address of the machine
> on which the smb.conf
> resides.   I have assigned all my machines addresses
> in the 192.168.0.xx
> range.
>
> Thus, one some other machine, the entry might be:
>
> interfaces = 192.168.0.14 eth0

Ok, got it. I just thought it might be the
gateway/router IP. Mine is like that now except for
the net bios name below it.  NoOp feels it's not
needed and wasn't was fixed samba for me. I will
comment it out and see what happens.

> > 2. What does the entry "include =
> > /etc/samba/dhcp.conf"
> > do? In my feisty setup, dhcp.conf is located in
> > /etc/dhcp3/.  Maybe your using dapper or edgy? Is
> this
> > a client or server setup? I have both the server
> and
> > client setup on ubuntu machine but suspect I only
> need
> > the client dhcp?
> >

> I guess that line is no longer needed.  Must have
> come from my SuSE distro
> when I ran that.   There is no such file in the
> current  /etc/samba

Right. Just goes to show that smb.conf will work even
when everything is not just so. Which makes it harder
to troubleshoot. Thanks for the info.

> > 3. Is there some other entry in your smb.conf that
> > takes the place of the netbios name entry in my
> setup.
> > Not sure, but looks like you are using a domain
> name
> > setup(I'm not) which may do the same thing. I'm
> not
> > very network savy as you see.
> >
> > Thanks for your contribution,
>
> Not that I am aware of.  I was surprised to make a
> check just now and see that
> even the workgroup name  isn't mentioned.
>
> But here's a clue:  when I issue the   findsmb
> command, the response is:
>
> root at linux1:/etc/samba# findsmb
>
>                                 *=DMB
>                                 +=LMB
> IP ADDR         NETBIOS NAME
> WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION

> 192.168.0.2     SRV1          +[SRV1] [Unix] [Samba
> 3.0.22-13.18-SUSE-CODE10]
> 192.168.0.3     LINUX1         [LINUX1] [Unix]
> [Samba 3.0.24]
> 192.168.0.15    WINMAIN1       [WINMAIN1] [Windows
> 5.1] [Windows 2000 LAN
> Manager]
> 192.168.0.52    KLINUX1       +[KLINUX1] [Unix]
> [Samba 3.0.24]
>
> So it is using the names of the various machines as
> the NETBIOS name.

Which suggests that I don't need the netbios name
entry. Will take it out and try again. Never used or
seen the findsmb command before.  Need to review the
manuals again.  Hey, thanks again for the comeback.
All you guys must be weary from all the thinking and
posting you do. It takes me quite a while responding
to my own posts so I know it takes a lot of effort on
your part.  Thanks for that.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net