yaboot question for mac ppc

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 02:09:39 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-31-07 at 08:25 -0400, Barry wrote:
> Does yaboot depend on the pram settings of the machine -- if yaboot is
> installed on the default startup disk?
>
> I ask this because I have a useful Mac G4 with a failure in the pmu
> circuitry. The only way the machine will begin the startup procedure
> via the button on the box is to reset the pmu, which puts all the pram
> settings back to the default. The machine would be on continually, and
> restarted cold only rarely.

I'm 75% sure that you are right - IIRC resetting the PRAM (the old
apple-option-P-R routine) meant that yaboot volumes no longer showed up
as the boot volume in the Open Firmware.

OTOH, Holding Option down at startup still provides you with the linux
choice - so as long as you are physically there on boot up to hold down
that key you should be fine.

Please note - I'm not 100% - but it sounds right to me.
Brian