upgrading to ubuntu edgy

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 14:53:46 UTC 2006

On 9/30/06, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 30 September 2006 01:15, Craig Beck wrote:
> > I'm trying to upgrade to Edgy using the instructions from https://
> > help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades but I'm getting this error
> > after I've edited my sources.list and running "sudo apt-get update"
> >
> > Reading package lists... Error!
> > E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
> > E: Error occurred while processing vlc-nox (NewVersion1)
> > E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/
> > us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_edgy_universe_binary-i386_Packages
> > E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> Look at your sources.list and comment out any repositories that you don't
> need.  Typically you won't need the source repositories.  You can do this
> through your favorite graphic package management tool or by
> editing /etc/apt/sources.list directly.
>
> This has always solved that error for me when I've seen it.

I tried going through the update-manager this morning and it worked
for me. That's the first time I've tried update-manager and I was
pleasantly surprised. It goes through your sources.list, comments out
any third-party repositories and changes all dapper instances to edgy
(among other things). To try that do:

gksudo update-manager -c -d

-Eamonn