Howto set up internet printing

Gabriel M Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Wed Sep 27 14:29:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 23:01 +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> I am pulling my hair out over trying to set up CUPS. Basically what I
> want to do is set up a network printer attached to my Ubuntu box that
> I can print to from my laptop.
>
> I tried to set up the network printer and have had no luck. Most
> people set up a network computer so that other computers on the LAN
> can use it. I have a unique situation. My laptop accesses the LAN
> wirelessly and thinks it has an IP of 192.168.3.3. My Ubuntu box
> accesses the internet via ethernet (on the same modem/router thingy),
> but it thinks it has an external address and doesn't know about the
> internal 192.168.x.x network. Odd that.
>
> What I really want to know is if it is possible to set up a printer on
> Linux that can be accessed by another computer that is NOT on the same
> LAN. (ie. print from the internet) I have tried reading through the
> CUPS documentation but it isn't really newbie user friendly. What
> information I did find on the internet sometimes doesn't seem to
> correspond with what I have on my box. e.g. config file information
> that is not in mine, information about a device URI that starts with
> ipp when mine doesn't, etc.
>
> Any one have insights on how or if internet printing works?
>
> Craig

It sounds like the situation is rather a mess! I'm by no means a
professional, I can only add that if you want computers on different
LANs to talk to each other then there will need to be routing between
them. I know that routing can implemented in IP tables, but you could do
it with something like firehol. As for CUPS I'm as lost as you, and
perhaps I'm even "barking up the wrong tree" on the routing thing :(