Howto set up internet printing

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 14:01:04 UTC 2006

I am pulling my hair out over trying to set up CUPS. Basically what I
want to do is set up a network printer attached to my Ubuntu box that
I can print to from my laptop.

I tried to set up the network printer and have had no luck. Most
people set up a network computer so that other computers on the LAN
can use it. I have a unique situation. My laptop accesses the LAN
wirelessly and thinks it has an IP of 192.168.3.3. My Ubuntu box
accesses the internet via ethernet (on the same modem/router thingy),
but it thinks it has an external address and doesn't know about the
internal 192.168.x.x network. Odd that.

What I really want to know is if it is possible to set up a printer on
Linux that can be accessed by another computer that is NOT on the same
LAN. (ie. print from the internet) I have tried reading through the
CUPS documentation but it isn't really newbie user friendly. What
information I did find on the internet sometimes doesn't seem to
correspond with what I have on my box. e.g. config file information
that is not in mine, information about a device URI that starts with
ipp when mine doesn't, etc.

Any one have insights on how or if internet printing works?

Craig