Questions about Patches.

Lothar Braun mail at lobraun.de
Fri Sep 15 08:35:53 UTC 2006

Hi Joel,

On Friday 15 September 2006 03:15, Joel Bryan Juliano wrote:
> 1. I am wondering if all patches from previous version will be applied to
> the next versions.
> For example, there are 10 patches from Hoary in a certain package, will
> those patches will also be applied to Dapper, or it's a set of new patches
> not related to the Hoary patches.

Dapper will most likely have a newer version of $patched_app. The new version
should be patched by the app author. It therefore should not need the hoary
patches :)

> 2. How do you apply alot of patches for a single file? I noticed that when
> a package source is grabbed from the repository, the debian/patches/
> directory already contains patch for that single file (i.e.
> 03_main_c.patch) . How do I add another patch for that particular file?
> (i.e 09_another_main_c.patch)

I think you'll have to apply one patch after another: Apply patch
03_main_c.patch to the stock source. Then go for the next on and apply it to
the already patched source.

> 3. I'm sending this to ubuntu-users only, I'm trying to learn some ethics
>
> :-), can I send this to ubuntu-devel too?

I think you can send these questions to the ubuntu-devel. The devs know more
about the ubuntu development, than the users do :D

Best regards,
Lothar