fire wall & anti-virus? do i really need it

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Fri Sep 8 20:33:02 UTC 2006

"Dimitri Mallis" <dimitri.mallis at gmail.com> wrote:

> im just wondering if i really need to run a fire wall & anti-virus?

I never run a anti-virus tool since I switched to linux about 10 years ago.

> are there any threats for linux/ubuntu users?

Check for security updates every few days and be careful if you want to
provide services (like apache) to an untrusted network. make sure your
passwords are not easy to crack (man passwd has some hints).

> are there even any viruses for linux?

not in the wild

anti-virus software for linux is most useful if you run mail or file
servers for windows clients

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>