What is top-posting? (was: Re: fire wall & anti-virus? do i really need it)

Adriano Varoli Piazza moranar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 18:00:18 UTC 2006

2006/9/7, Dimitri Mallis <dimitri.mallis at gmail.com>:
> great thanks for all the feed back. what is top-posting & who is
> top-posting?

Top-posting is replying above the message you're quoting, which for
some (me included) disrupts the flow of the message and is annoying to
follow, but easier for the poster to do because many mail clients
default to it when replying, gmailweb included. In this case, "Unksi"
was top-posting when replying to your message.

Bottom-posting is replying below the message you're quoting, it's
generally recommended, though beware: bottom-posting a short answer to
a long message without trimming it to highlight the relevant part is
bad form too: it wastes bandwidth and patience.

In general, this could lead to a great discussion about the advantages
of one form or the other, but I think we all agree that, at the very
least, thinking before sending a message is recommendable.

In general, googling for netiquette or reading the "rules and
conditions" of these mailing lists will tell you what is good form
when writing or replying to them.

--
Adriano Varoli Piazza
The Inside Out: http://moranar.com.ar