Ubuntu dapper: About LDAP configuration...

Paul Dwerryhouse paul at dwerryhouse.com.au
Wed Sep 6 01:50:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 01:09:03PM +0200, Patrick Gelin wrote:
> I've just installed OpenLDAP but I can't write anything because I don't know
> the login/password information. While installing the package I defined the
> password for server and rootdn but I don't know the login name
> associated...

The installer builds a base DN from your machine's domain name; so if
your domain name was example.com, the base DN would be dc=example,
dc=com. Then, the admin user is  "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com".

You can find it in the /etc/ldap/slapd.conf file, in the access list section:

access to attrs=userPassword
        by dn="cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" write
        by anonymous auth
        by self write
        by * none

[..]

access to *
        by dn="cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" write
        by * read

Also, if you run

	dpkg-reconfigure slapd

...then it will ask you considerably more questions than the first run
installer would, and it then lets you specify the name of the
administration user yourself.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584