Getting an HP PhotoSmart C3140 All in one working.

Bry Melvin brymelvin at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 3 00:47:40 UTC 2006

Recently after checking the HPILP site and documentation in Ubuntu/Kubuntu I purchased one of these devices.

Just Working was out of the question though:-(

Even though the docs in Ubuntu say this unit will print scan etc. It Doesn't just work.

After contacting HP support I downloaded the current tar.gz fo HPILP.

The instructions have specific ubuntu steps.

Be sure to uninstall the .deb from Ubuntu of hpilp. It is missing some pieces to get scanning working with this machine.

Following the excellent instructions in the tar.gz and using hp's included command line printer setup program this printer scanner combo set up correctly and works quite fine.

I have scanned in XSane and Kooka with no problems.

FWIW all my googling ended up with this scanner function as not supported.

apparently the Ubuntu repository versions of HPILP are missing a few pieces needed to scan.

Please excuse the double posting on Kubuntu and Ubuntu.
I thought this was significant enough after two days of trying to find why the HPILP docs in Ubuntu said it would work and then it didn't.

Bryann