ntp problems on dapper/edgy

Henk Koster H.A.J.Koster at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 1 08:45:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:08:03 -0400, Luis wrote:

> I've been having a problem with the time of a computer that keeps
> going faster than it should be. [snip]

Could be a lot of things, especially (but not only) with AMD processors.
You could experiment with kernel boot options, like "noapictimer" or
"noapic" or "nolapic", alone or in combination with "acpi=off".

Using another timer algorithm might also work, like the kernel
boot option "clock=pit".

And then in /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh you could specify
HWCLOCKPARS="--directisa" (with the quotes), which prevents calls
to the RTC (chip) timer.

I don't think your problem originates in ntpd...