How easy is LVM? (was: Re: Partitioning Question)

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 21:49:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:32:27 +0200, Ron Smits wrote:

>> > I have not played with lvm in about a year. So if they have reached
>> > that level of easyness, I should look into it again.
>>
>> I don't know if they have, I was just asking!
>>

> It did not use to, first of all when I was using it there was no nice
> uptodate gui. I used a swing java frontend that was no longer supported.
> If you are not used in working with logical volumes, it will be quite
> daunting to set it up.
>
> It did not use to be the case that you could just start using them with
> a different install as several files needed to be updated before they
> could run. Mind you I am talking about the time you had to hack the boot
> scripts of slackware to make it all happen.

I just booted my laptop, whose disk is nearly all logical volumes (except
for a boot partition) from the Ubuntu 6.06.1 desktop installation CD and
in a terminal ran pvdisplay etc, and my physical and logical volumes were
all there. I eve mounted one and it worked.

So I guess LVM has go a lot easier since you last tried it!

Regards,
Tony.