Partitioning Question

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 18:19:37 UTC 2006

On 10/16/06, Ron Smits <ron at ronsmits.org> wrote:

> I can only give you rough observations. I regularly record tv from a
> tvcard. Using the same settings on an lvm disk the cpu will run towards
> 80% usage, on the same disktype but not in an lvm setup and the same
> filesystem type it goes to 60-65%. As I said this is rough ballpark. It
> was however enough to make me switch off lvm.

That's honestly a really silly reason to move off of LVM.  You realize
that it wasn't slowing anything down, right?  Your CPU was still
sitting around with nothing to do 20% of the time.  Wether it's 35-40%
of the time or 20% of the time, if your CPU is idle, then the machine
isn't heavily loaded.

--
Chris

"While Kim Jong-il may be testing nuclear weapons that he could very
well be able to deliver to the west coast of the United States in the
next few years, we must never forget that the world is still a safer
place now that Saddam Hussein has been removed from power."