iPod and generic mp3 player support in Edgy and Dapper

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 11 08:42:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 13:58 +0100, Sean Hammond wrote:
> Ah, actually it seems GTKPod does not work on Dapper, it tries to sync
> the changes to the iPod before exiting:
>
> Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F04/gtkpod424116.mp3'
> for writing (Read-only file system).
>
> Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F05/gtkpod302268.mp3'
> for writing (Read-only file system)

It works fine on my Dapper box, (and did on my Dapper laptop before I
went to Edgy on that machine)

It sounds like the ipod is being mounted read-only for some reason. If
the ipod is an apple formatted one (hfs+) then there are some tools in
hfsutils to repair borked filesystems. Can't recall the details. If it's
fat32 formatted then you might have some corruption in the filesystem
causing automount to refuse to make it writeable. Alternatively, you
(well, the user) doesn't have write perms to the directory (check the
parent perms, since fat32 doesn't do uid/gid access control)

When it's plugged in and (mostly) working, check the mounted partitions
for perms, see if it's being mounted as root or something.

It does work, gtkpod is not without it's flaws, but it does work fine on
Dapper.

--
Jim Richardson <warlock at eskimo.com>
Erisian Claw