msi megabook s420 acpi issues

Dimitri Van Landuyt dimitri.vanlanduyt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 12:55:39 UTC 2006

Steve Flynn wrote:
> On 06/10/06, *Dimitri Van Landuyt* <dimitri.vanlanduyt at gmail.com
> <mailto:dimitri.vanlanduyt at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     unfortunately the no_timer_check option still makes my machine hang at
>     the hpet stuff.
>     are you certain it is a valid parameter?
>

> Yes it is a valid parameter, but only on 64bit kernels (which I was
> unaware of I'm afraid).
>
>  From a different problem, but one which involves MSI boards hanging due
> to timer code, listed at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=53094

I had already established that I can boot with either acpi=off or
hpet=disable (which seems to give me at least some of the acpi features).

I tried:
> 1) noapic nolapic
hangs
> 2) noapic acpi=noirq
hangs
> 3) noapic acpi=off
works but no acpi
> 4) noapictimer
hangs
> 5) noapictimer irqpoll
hangs
> 6) noapic acpi=off
the same as 3 ;-)
> 7) noapic acpi=noirq nolapic
hangs

So the good part is that I can boot in my ubuntu, the bad part is that
acpi works very limited (perhaps due to the fact I have to enable hpet,
whatever hpet is). I will give an overview:
- battery status: works, but remaining time is calculated incorrectly
and is always the same value
- cpu scaling does not work
- suspend, hibernate both bring my machine in a weird state
- temperature reading is wrong (constant value of 75 degrees)

So if anyone has an idea how to : make this hpet stuff work, or to make
the acpi stuff work, please do not hesitate to help me!

Dimitri