msi megabook s420 acpi issues

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 12:34:17 UTC 2006

On 06/10/06, Dimitri Van Landuyt <dimitri.vanlanduyt at gmail.com> wrote:

> unfortunately the no_timer_check option still makes my machine hang at
> the hpet stuff.
> are you certain it is a valid parameter?

Yes it is a valid parameter, but only on 64bit kernels (which I was unaware
of I'm afraid).

>From a different problem, but one which involves MSI boards hanging due to
timer code, listed at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=53094

Turn on your computer and keep pressing "ESC" until you get to the GRUB
menu.

Select your kernel with your keyboard arrows (DO NOT PRESS ENTER) and Press
"e".
Then you will see 3 lines:
 Code:

root (hd0,0)
kernel	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-10-k7 root=/dev/hdb1 ro quiet splash
initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-10-k7

Select the line which begins with the word "kernel" and press "e" to edit
it.

Add one [ONLY ONE i.e. only 1) or only 2) ] of the following things at the
end of the line:

1) noapic nolapic
so that it will look like this:
 Code:

kernel	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-10-k7 root=/dev/hdb1 ro quiet splash noapic nolapic

OR
2) noapic acpi=noirq
OR
3) noapic acpi=off
OR
4) noapictimer
OR
5) noapictimer irqpoll
OR
6) noapic acpi=off
OR
7) noapic acpi=noirq nolapic

Then get off the text field and press "b" to boot the kernel.

See if it works.
If Ubuntu DOESN'T boot, it hangs or you can't use your internet connection
just reboot and follow the instructions again but try with option 2) or 3),
4), etc. until you solve your problem.

When you find the boot options which work for you [ 1), 2) or 3), etc. ] you
have to set them permanently (because the options you have jsut set will
only last until you reboot).

Follow the first part of the guide (the one about Ubuntu 64 bit) and put the
options which work for you (e.g. "noapic nolapic") instead of
"no_timer_check".

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...