image manipulation tool question

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Thu Oct 5 03:20:46 UTC 2006

Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> Now she wants to be able to manipulate
> (re-scale, decimate resolution, crop) images and upload them to sites
> like Flickr.

The built in GThumb does this very well. (And more).  I rarely if ever
need to use something else on regular pictures.

> The problem is, she is a *Magic user* when it comes to technology.
> Being the sadistic husband that I am, I've set her up with Linux.  so
> far, she does okay with a few spells that I've given her.  but to tell
> you the truth, I don't know what image processing application is simple
> enough for her to use.

GThumb.

> She's tried gimp and run away screaming.

Smart woman. Keeper. :)

> Any  suggestions of what picture applications would be friendly
 > for a magic  user?

GThumb.  Note that for some reason if you right-click a picture and let
it open with GThumb it does not show all functions. (Same as when you
change the default application for jpegs from Image Viewer to GThumb and
double click).  You have to open GThumb first to make it show all the
options available, including the file browser.

> Additionally, are there any tools one could use to perform a
> batch conversion on a set of images.

Yes, GThumb.   Let me know when I get repetitive. :)  (Or I could be
confusing thing with XN View.. this definitely does that, though the
Linux version is crap to look at. (Interface)

> For example converting all the
> images from the default resolution to a webpage friendly resolution.

Gthumb.  And it'll even generate the web page for you!!!!!!!

Gimme a G, gimme a T, gimme a U....   etc.

Cheers,
Chanchao