Saving "youtube" videos to disk ??

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 05:26:34 UTC 2006

On 11/27/06, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
[snip]

> As this thread is related to windows in some way, I can't help but
> share... this evening I visited a friend to install Windows XP on a
> machine (along with Linux of course ;-). Believe it or not, after 30
> minutes installing it, when I first logged in, before I even had the
> time to start Internet Explorer to check internet connectivity... I HAD
> ALREADY A VIRUS ! A pop-up window that wouldn't go away, telling me how
> badly the computer had just been infected, and that it would be
> automatically shut-down in 60 seconds to protect itself from severe
> damage ! Not even 30 seconds, not even 5 seconds, no... thanks to
> broadband and DHCP, internet was working instantly on first log-in, and
> that bloody Windows got infected literally instantly !

That happened to me on a neighbor's computer that I went to fix (yes,
I installed Ubuntu as a dual-boot so she can see the difference). This
is not really a virus, just a stupid stuff that uses the Windows
"messenger" service (which is of course turned on by default). Turning
off this service fixed this problem for me. There is an article about
it in Microsoft's site (google it).

In any case, i don't doubt Windows will be infected by a virus in a
few seconds of being online. There are so many people out there who
just don't know what they are running (or don't even care). And to be
truthful, I don't think it's their fault either. Windows needs to be
re-done from scratch! Perhaps they should simply build it on top of
the Linux kernel (like Apple did with OS X and the *BSD micro-kernel).

Oh well, a topic for a different mailinglist/forum ;-)

--
Luis Mondesi

"Feliz el hombre que ha hallado sabiduria y el hombre que consigue
discernimiento, porque el tenerla como ganancia es mejor que tener la
plata como ganancia; y el tenerla como producto, [mejor] que el oro
mismo" (Prov 3:13-14).