Getting rid of the startup splash screen (Edgy)

Wei-Yee Chan chanweiyee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 14:09:50 UTC 2006

Derek Broughton wrote:
> The smiley was there for a reason.  It's a longstanding gripe (two years, I
> think - I filed more than one bug) of mine that the *-desktop packages
> _still_ say that "It is safe to remove this package if some of the desktop
> system packages are not desired".  Clearly, it is not, and the developers
> keep saying it is not, but nobody will fix the packages to make it clear
> that it is not.

Oic.  Well, I used to have that removed, and everything ran just fine.
I guess it only poses a problem if U don't have it when your doing an
upgrade.

In fact, they do have a warning.

"This package depends on all of the packages in the Ubuntu desktop system

It is also used to help ensure proper upgrades, so it is recommended that
it not be removed."

Regards,

Wei-Yee Chan
http://chanweiyee.blogspot.com