Getting rid of the startup splash screen (Edgy)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Nov 21 13:10:10 UTC 2006

Wei-Yee Chan wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>> As for removing ubuntu-desktop - who needs it? :-)
>>
> You'll need it if your doing an upgrade.  Otherwise, bad things can
> happen.  I'd suggest that this package be left alone.

The smiley was there for a reason.  It's a longstanding gripe (two years, I
think - I filed more than one bug) of mine that the *-desktop packages
_still_ say that "It is safe to remove this package if some of the desktop
system packages are not desired".  Clearly, it is not, and the developers
keep saying it is not, but nobody will fix the packages to make it clear
that it is not.
--
derek