changing desktops - Ubuntu => xfce ...parts of desktops?

David Armour d.f.armour at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 18 15:53:14 UTC 2006

> ubject:
> Re: changing desktops - Ubuntu => xfce
> From:
> Scott <geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com>
> Date:
> Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:26:38 -0700
> To:
> ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> To:
> ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>

> Ricardo C O Freitas spake thusly on 11/17/2006 05:27 PM:

>>> Install "xubuntu-desktop".  Don't uninstall "ubuntu-desktop".  Then you
>>> can have both worlds.  If you really want to go wild, install
>>> "kubuntu-desktop" as well and have K too.
>>>
>> I was trying thu synaptic!
>>
>> That was the problem!
>>
>> To install xubuntu, synaptic wants me to REMOVE gnome!
>>

> When you say it wants you to "remove GNOME" can you be more specific?
>
> I'm guessing it just wants you to remove a metapakage and not all of GNOME.
I hope this is related. The xscreensaver-gl was reportedly the culprit
in xubuntu xfce4 crashes, but synaptic would also remove
xubuntu-desktop. (How do I find out if the xscreensaver-gl bug has been
fixed yet?) I wanted to make the cdrom drives visible and wanted to
install ivman, but synaptic kept insisting on installing
xubuntu-desktop, along with xscreensaver-gl! Is there a way to install
xubuntu-desktop, *without* xscreensaver-gl (assuming it's still buggy)? TIA.