Swap of 4 Gigs

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 12:26:09 UTC 2006

On 16/11/06, Scott <geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:

> I've read that your swap should be.....
>
>                 A) Twice your RAM
>                 B) 150% of your RAM
>                 C) Equal to your RAM.
>
> Everybody seems to have their own opinion. I don't have my own at all.
> But I've read all of the above.

I think the only sensible rule is that "it depends".

If you do manipulation of very large, memory intensive structures, such as
RAW image files, large matrices, video processing, etc. you should have lots
of RAM and lots of swap.

If you don't, you need less ram and less swap.

My laptop, for example, has half a gig of RAM and 1 gig or swap.. It's
perfectly fine.
My desktop has 4 gig of ram and no swap at all. It's perfectly fine too

Let the war begin...
--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...