Grub installation fails on Z61

Nimit nimit_g at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 02:58:44 UTC 2006

Hi All,

This is the first time I am trying ubuntu. I am trying
to install Ubuntu 6.10 on Thinkpad Z61. Since I want
to have dual boot option keeping my windows XP intact.
Using QT-Parted I shrinked windows partion and made
space for linux. So my partion table is something like
this.

Win XP NTFS  15GB Primary
/      ext3  20GB Logical
swap area    1 GB Logical
Win    FAT32 35GB Primary
IBM(hidden)  5 GB Primary

Now I started Ubuntu 6.10 installation in text mode,
and tried to install grub on 1 sector of "/" root
partition,  but it fails "Unable to install grub in
(hd0,X)".

I appreciate your help.

Thanks and regards,
Nimit