Dapper Drake on an eMac

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Nov 17 01:00:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:09:15 -0700
Scott <geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:

> Ben Schneider spake thusly on 11/13/2006 05:47 PM:
> >
> > Attached is an RTF file with my complete setup (from my system profiler)
> attachments. In fact it's not a good idea to send  emails with
> attachments to anyone, unannounced.

Indeed. I just opened this in oowriter and it came to *297* pages!
I originally tried it in Abiword, but it was taking forever to load.

Edit: Just tried it in Abiword again -it took a *full minute just to load*
- now that's some kind of personal record here ;-) Needless to say, I did
not wade through all 297 pages...

Apart from anything else, it weighs in at 824 KB. Dialup users
were no doubt cursing... let's see... at 5KB/Sec that's around two and
three quarter minutes for one post to download...

(I'm currently re-reading Henry Fielding's "Tom Jones", which is admittedly
around 900 pages in paperback  - but much more interesting. I'd be
happy to send the list a copy as a 1.9MB text attachment, but since
project Gutenberg makes it available as a 728 KB zip file, that seems
unnecessary ;-)

*sigh*

Peter