How do I upgrade Xubuntu?

Francisco Borges f.borges at rug.nl
Mon Nov 13 20:23:19 UTC 2006

: On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 08:41PM +0100, Carsten Agger wrote:

[...]
> the update-manager doesn't work and one should use the apt-get
> dist-upgrade method instead.
>
> Great, so I did! - and this broke completely.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

[...]
> So Edgy wants to replace libc - which it can't, because there are
> packages depending on a previous version.
>
> AND it wants to replace some of these packages, which it can't - because
>    they need the new libc which can't be installed. A Catch-22!

I am not really sure, but I would advise you to use "aptitude" instead
of apt-get. Aptitude is a "newer" & "better" package manager for
Debian/Ubuntu, and AFAIK has some better dependency conflict resolution
implementation.

> After this attempt, the system won't boot and the only way to get going
> is to boot with a Debian install floppy (there's no CD drive on
> my computer) and reinstall - Dapper, since the floppy install
> procedure won't work for Edgy.

Are you using a Debian install floppy made by Debian for Debian, or
a floppy for (X)Ubuntu Dapper?

HTH, cheers!
--
Francisco