Edgy Install Problem x11-common

golfer golfbuf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 03:05:33 UTC 2006

On 10/31/06, Chris Lamb <chris at thelambchops.net> wrote:
> The following is my problem:
> ----------------------------
> Preparing to replace x11-common 7.0.0-0ubuntu45 (using .../X11-common_1%
> 3a7.1.1ubuntu6_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement x11-common ...
> Replacing files in old package xinit ...
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%
> 3a7.1.1ubuntu6_i386.deb (--unpack):
>   trying to overwrite '/usr/X11R6/bin', which is also in package xgl
> Selecting previously deselected package xutils-dev.
> Unpacking xutils-dev (from .../xutils-dev_1%3a1.0.2-3ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...
>   /var/cache/apt/archives/X11-common_1%3a7.1.1ubuntu6_i386.deb
> ----------------------------
>
> This error was received after attempting to do the upgrade through the GUI.  I
> received a message about not being able to write to the /usr/X11R6/bin
> directory because it wasn't empty.  There was an Xgl link file in there which I
> deleted.  (I tried to install Xgl a while back but it didn't work.)  Further
> upgrade attempts failed. After rebooting, X will not come up.
>
> I have noticed similar errors in the forums and other emails regarding xinit
> and xterm.  So far, none of the suggested fixes for those problems fix my
> problem.  I've tried "sudo apt-get remove --purge xgl" and it gives me more x11-
> common error messages.
>
> I would give more detailed messages but am not currently at my computer to be
> able to troubleshoot.  I thought I would post this, though, in case someone
> else has experienced it or to see if there was a known solution.  Barring a
> known solution, I think I will just have to rebuild.

You may have success using 'dpkg -P xserver-xgl' instead of apt-get.
You can check if it's removed by 'dpkg -l | grep xgl' to see if it's
fully gone or some config remains.  Also, try 'dpkg -P x11-common' to
remove it, then 'dpkg -i --force-overwrite
x11-common_7.1.1ubuntu6_i386.deb' to install with forcing.

> If I do rebuild, is there a way from the command line to archive my Evolution
> emails/contacts for use in the fresh build?

I'm not familiar with evolution, but it must keep your contacts and
such in a directory in your home, so use 'ls -a' in your home
directory to see if anything looks like it's related to evolution
(i.e. ~/.evolution).  If there is something labelled evolution, just
use 'tar cjvf evolution-files.tar.gz <the directory name here>' in the
terminal and it will pack it up in an archive .. then you need to copy
'cp evolution-files.tar.gz /dev/floppy' or some place for safe
keeping.  Once you've reinstalled, just copy it back and double click
on it to get ark to open it.

> Thanks for any help!
> Chris

HTH