Creative Commons cafe - looking for music player software

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 14:12:24 UTC 2006

Looking around...

Totem can display decent fullscreen visualisation with Goom... but it
doesn't display song information in this mode. And I'm not sure if
Totem will deal well with huge playlists (we basically want to load
The Forest's entire music library at once and play it on random all
day, so huge playlists have to be handled very reliably).

Rhythmbox, Muine and Banshee are all very nice and seem to offer
pretty good ways of handling huge music libraries and playlists, but
none of them seem to have any fullscreen visualisation or song
information mode... Muine does display the album cover as a song
plays, so that's something. But we don't really want to be projecting
the music player GUI on to the wall all day (even if it is a really
nice GUI).

XMMS and BMP don't seem to offer anything either - although there may
be a visualisation plugin for one of these that I'm not aware of that
may have the features needed. It would need to work very reliably
though. i.e. not crash at all when running all day.

Quod Libet doesn't seem to have anything suitable out of the box either.

I haven't tried Amarok...