Removing usplash while using vesafb console (dapper)

Constantine Evans cevans at costinet.org
Fri Mar 24 01:35:32 UTC 2006

I am trying to disable usplash on my dapper system. Removing the splash
boot option works fine when I am using a normal console, but when I try
to use a vesafb console (vga=791), nothing ever appears on the
framebuffer. The system boots into X, but the framebuffer remains blank.

Since usplash is supposed to be in userspace, is there some way to fix
this without having to compile a custom kernel?

Constantine