Need libs!

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sat Mar 18 22:33:51 UTC 2006

On Saturday 18 March 2006 23:32, C Hamel wrote:
> On Saturday 18 March 2006 10:02, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 March 2006 17:36, C Hamel wrote:
> > > RealPlayer10GOLD & the Helix player both need libstdc++.so.5 &
> > > Google is speechless when I put that in as a search string.
> > > Are you telling me that RealPlayer really_won't_work in
> > > Flight5??  All updates are applied (apt-get dist-upgrade).
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/317
> >
> > libstdc++ is installed by gcc. Did you
> > apt-get install build-essentials?
> >

> > --
> > Alan McKinnon
> > alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
> > +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
>
> Many thanks to all who posted! :-)  I realize that the period in
> the filename must not be there.  Hm.  Wonder if I was being *too*
> literal w/the filename.

Yes :-)

This is the never ending problem with package management that will
occur on any reasonably complex OS. If you used Synaptic to install
RealPlayer then it of course knows that the player depends on
libstdc++ and will do the right thing.

If you downloaded the program from a web site somewhere, you don't
have Synaptic to help you out, so this kind of thing happens. In the
Windows world the problem is even worse so every downloadable program
gets every possible library bundled in, including things that have to
be present for Windows to work at all. It makes the user's problem go
away but makes maintenance a nightmare, causes endless grief for
developers and there's 3x as much data on the disk as needs to be
there. In the linux world we assume that a) there's a package manager
around to sort out the details, and b) the user is the opposite of a
total idiot and does know what is present on the system. a) is not
always true and while b) is generally true we all slip up sometimes -
like I did today, thrice :-(

> Speaking of build-essentials, I am having a prob getting that done.
>  Apt-get says it 'can't find package build-essentials' and adept
> says it doesn't exist.  Thought I had all the repos in the
> sources.list.  Wonder if I missed one...?  Adept gives me a little
> more, so that must be it.  Pay-dirt!  I only wish that there was a
> 'selection' one could make that would get the whole enchilada at
> one whack.

The package name is build-essential (no trailing s). It's in main.

My fault, I stopped trying to remember exact names of things over a
decade ago. Instead I use google, locate, find, grep and cut...