[Dapper] Mouse

C Hamel yogich at sc2000.net
Wed Mar 15 05:06:11 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 11:42, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 15:28 +0100, Vincent Arnoux wrote:
> > Start gconf-editor, go to apps->nautilus->preferences and change the
> > key value of click_policy key to "single"
>
> Um, even simpler: In any file manager window: Edit > Preferences > Tab
> Behavior > Single click to activate items. Or Top Toolbar > System >
> Preferences > File Management > Tab Behavior > Single click to activate
> items.
>
> This is a serious problem on the mailing list IMO: advanced users
> pulling some long-outdated or unnecessary trick out of their pockets,
> instead of showing the most straightforward way.
>
> I'm sorry to pick on you, you surely aren't the only offender, and I
> have been one myself, but it just now ticket me off ;)
>
> So often a newbie shows up and asks "how to I install foo", only to be
> told, "open a terminal; vi /etc/apt/sources.list, edit; apt-get update
> && apt-get install foo".
> I'm surely not against learning stuff or using the cmd line, and I know
> that it is hard to let go of old behavior, but please: point newbies to
> the relevant GUI tools in Ubuntu. They are why they use Ubuntu in the
> first place.
>
> Regards, Mario

I'll take that n00b thingy as a compliment.  I've been using other distros for
several years ( and just recently switched to kubuntu on a sys admin's
recommendationn ) and, to be quite honest, I figured that the single-click
key would be in the mouse settings as it is in KDE.  Not so:  they bury it in
a file mgr --which, of itself, is no biggie except it affects the whole
desktop, not just the file mgr.  That is totally illogical, in my book.
Sorry. ;-)
--
	...CH