[Dapper] Mouse

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Mar 14 17:42:46 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 15:28 +0100, Vincent Arnoux wrote:

> Start gconf-editor, go to apps->nautilus->preferences and change the
> key value of click_policy key to "single"

Um, even simpler: In any file manager window: Edit > Preferences > Tab
Behavior > Single click to activate items. Or Top Toolbar > System >
Preferences > File Management > Tab Behavior > Single click to activate
items.

This is a serious problem on the mailing list IMO: advanced users
pulling some long-outdated or unnecessary trick out of their pockets,
instead of showing the most straightforward way.

I'm sorry to pick on you, you surely aren't the only offender, and I
have been one myself, but it just now ticket me off ;)

So often a newbie shows up and asks "how to I install foo", only to be
told, "open a terminal; vi /etc/apt/sources.list, edit; apt-get update
&& apt-get install foo".
I'm surely not against learning stuff or using the cmd line, and I know
that it is hard to let go of old behavior, but please: point newbies to
the relevant GUI tools in Ubuntu. They are why they use Ubuntu in the
first place.

Regards, Mario