Grub Not Running When 3 Partitions (Breezy)

CJ Kelley debian_i386 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 02:44:14 UTC 2006

Tristan Wibberley <maihem at maihem.org> wrote:----CJ's Reply----
Note: Some computers from the 90's, such as the HP MultiMedia 6100S, had an option in the BIOS that you could change so that the bios would ensure wheather Linux or MS-DOS/windows was installed. If your computer is from the 90's, you may wanna check the bios to ensure that it is set to check for linux instead of windows/DOS
----End of Reply----

Kent Borg wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 05:53:08PM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
>> Maybe if you could explain what you mean by "it doesn't work", such as
>> what error message you get.
>
> No error message, the computer goes on to try other boot options, such
> as ethernet...
>
> Grub never runs, the disk is not seen as bootable.  The fact I can run
> grub off a floppy and boot successfully is, I think, a key clue.

You may have a BIOS that attempts to ensure you have either DOS or
Windows installed. Assuming this disk has an MS-DOS partition table, you
need to mark exactly one of them active so the BIOS thinks you've got
DOS or Windows installed on it.

If you have a partition table format from any other operating system,
you may be out of luck unless you wipe it and recreate it as an MS-DOS one.

--
Tristan Wibberley