Grub Not Running When 3 Partitions (Breezy)

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Tue Mar 14 00:26:10 UTC 2006

Kent Borg wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 05:53:08PM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
>> Maybe if you could explain what you mean by "it doesn't work", such as
>> what error message you get.
>
> No error message, the computer goes on to try other boot options, such
> as ethernet...
>
> Grub never runs, the disk is not seen as bootable.  The fact I can run
> grub off a floppy and boot successfully is, I think, a key clue.

You may have a BIOS that attempts to ensure you have either DOS or
Windows installed. Assuming this disk has an MS-DOS partition table, you
need to mark exactly one of them active so the BIOS thinks you've got
DOS or Windows installed on it.

If you have a partition table format from any other operating system,
you may be out of luck unless you wipe it and recreate it as an MS-DOS one.

--
Tristan Wibberley