Is there a good BASIC compiler for ubuntu?

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sun Mar 12 20:01:13 UTC 2006

On Sunday 12 March 2006 19:16, CJ Kelley wrote:
> I am still pretty new to programming and am starting to become very
> proficient in the BASIC language. I dont know very much of C++,
> other then how to get the computer to display a line of text. So my
> question is, is there a good BASIC compiler out there that will
> work under Ubuntu Linux?

OK, I understand you've expressed a desire to learn . Don't take this
the wrong way, but:

Pick another language instead.

BASIC is the worst possible way to learn programming. It teaches bad
habits that are almost impossible to unlearn later. It's also
virtually unsupported on Linux, as no sane programmer will touch it.

If you want to learn something basic-like, go for Gambas. It uses a
basic-like language and is modelled on Microsoft VB (with all the
worst abuses taken out and replaced with better solutions).

If it's programing you want to learn (and you don't want to go the
C/C++ route), there is one language that stands head and shoulder
above the rest. It's easy, it makes sense, it won't teach you bad
habits and it doesn't give you a false sense of security:

Python

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za