Is there a good BASIC compiler for ubuntu?

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Sun Mar 12 18:16:09 UTC 2006

CJ Kelley wrote:
> I am still pretty new to programming and am starting to become very proficient in the BASIC language. I dont know very much of C++, other then how to get the computer to display a line of text. So my question is, is there a good BASIC compiler out there that will work under Ubuntu Linux?

There's one with mono for vb.NET. but you might have more fun with
python or ruby.

BASIC is okay for learning how to describe things to computers (ie,
precision, ordered steps, etc), but it is a terrible one for learning
how to manage your code for the "people" side of programming, that is
changing things later, working with others, finding mistakes, and
avoiding mistakes. So I think you should switch now to either python or
ruby.

Both of those are available from synaptic under System->Administration.

--
Tristan Wibberley