Is there a good BASIC compiler for ubuntu?

Alexandre Franke alexandre.franke at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 17:46:17 UTC 2006

On 3/12/06, CJ Kelley <debian_i386 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Alexandre Franke <alexandre.franke at gmail.com> wrote:
>  On 3/12/06, CJ Kelley wrote:
> > I am still pretty new to programming and am starting to become very
> > proficient in the BASIC language. I dont know very much of C++, other then
> > how to get the computer to display a line of text. So my question is, is
> > there a good BASIC compiler out there that will work under Ubuntu Linux?
>
> As far as I know, BASIC is not a compiled language, but rather an
> interpreted one. So I guess that it is an interpreter you are looking
> for.
> In this page you'll find some BASIC interpreters:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/interpreters/
> However, I wouldn't recommend using BASIC. Why did you choose this
> language? Someone told you to do so? Maybe python will be better for
> your needs.
>
> ----cj's reply----
> dude, BASIC was my first (and currently only) language that i learned and am
> proficient in. First off, basic is easier for me to learn and second off,
> its basic.
> ----end of reply----

Just relax man, I never meant that BASIC was unefficient or such
stuff. I just suggested python because it is well integrated within
the Ubuntu environment and is supposed to be Ubuntu's equivalent to
Microsoft Window's Visual Basic. I wasn't rude so please don't be. Did
you know that python is just as easy to learn as BASIC? Have a look at
this:
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

If you think that BASIC will fit your needs, well you are probably
right. I was just trying to help you. Hope the answer I gave you about
compilers/interpreters was what you wanted...

--
Alexandre Franke
GNU/Linux user #390077