Upgrading Beta Release from CD

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jun 27 11:27:18 UTC 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:20:03 +0530
"Arjun Shankar" <arjunsha at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Now that I'm back home for the summer, I got my
> copy of the final release (thanks to ShipIt!), and added the CD to my
> apt repository list (using "apt-cdrom"). Now, "sudo apt-get update",
> then "sudo apt-get upgrade" only upgrades the kernel-headers module,
> and all other packages are not even detected as being candidates for
> upgrade.

The problem here is that unlike previous releases, the shipit CD now lacks
the full complement of packages on the disc. In order to do what you are
trying to do you would need the "alternate" 6.06 CD , which is the
equivalent of the "old" Install CD.

Apparently the way the Desktop CD is made does not use packages, so
apt-cdrom add won't find what you need - at least that is my understanding
of the issue.

Peter