Oh please ...

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Jun 27 18:56:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:22:12 -0700 Tom Smith <tom71713-ubuntu at yahoo.com>
wrote:
>I agree with the general response to this thread--it's easy to create
>filters based on header contents, and this is what I do.
>
>However, JD's suggestion, I think, would work well if someone subscribes
>to multiple Ubuntu mailing lists.
>
>For example, I subscribe to ubuntu-users, ubuntu-annonce,
>ubuntu-security, etc. All of these lists are filtered in to the same
>folder, so having the [ubuntu-users] (or whatnot) prefix the subject
>would help me to identify which posts are from which lists.
>
>Anybody agree with that take?

Filter on list-id, not from:

to distinguish among lists.  If you want a subject line with a distinct
tag, use an MUA that supports re-writing the subject and do it yourself.
For Gnome I don't know what that would be, but Kmail supports it.

E-mail list subject tags is another religious issue like top posting.
There is no way to make everyone happy.  The best bet is to figure out the
tools that support working the way you want and don't depend on someone
else conforming to your vision of how the world works.

Scott K