Ubuntu dapper drake question (running ubuntu-6.06-desktop)

Henk Koster H.A.J.Koster at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 21 10:20:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:50:49 +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi Marek and folks,
>
> Tks for your advice.
>
> I have "ubuntu-6.06-desktop-amd64.iso" download and burned on CD.  The
> latter is now working.
>
> Please advise follows;
>
> 1) I can't find root terminal.  On "Accessories" drop-list only users'
> terminal can be found.  Where can I add root password to su it to root
>
> 2) Where can I connect ADSL broadband in the absence of root terminal
>
> 3) If on root terminal whether to run;
>
> # pppoe-setup/config to establish broadband connection.
>
> TIA
>
> B.R.
> SL
>

>> Stephen Liu wrote:
>> > Hi folks,
>> >
>> > I have been searching around about the OS "Ubuntu dapper drake"
>> without
>> > much result.  I'm not very clear about its appplication.  What will
>> be
>> > its main features.  Pointers would be appreciated.  TIA
>> >
>> > B.R.
>> > SL
>> >

>> It's main features are a word processor, internet browser, e-mail
>> client, non functional video player due to some strange laws
>> somewhere
>> in the world which makes us all suffer, calculator, some games,
>> networking cababilities of which WiFi are less than desired, and over
>> 16
>> 000 packages which can be downloaded over the net unless you are on a
>>
>> dialup connection as is most of the world.
>>

>> --

Ah, the root terminal... You just discovered the Ubuntu policy of not
doing administrative task as root user, but to use sudo in a user terminal
instead. On the liveCD no user password is required for using sudo, but on
the final installed version it is required.

About setting up an internet connection, this is done in the System ->
Administration -> Networking menu, provided that the interface is
available there. For example, the wireless interface wlan0: highlight it
and select Properties to enable the interface, pick the essid of choice
and use DHCP or a static setup; then activate the interface and select it
as default gateway. A wired eth0 interface would require less setup.

For fiddling around with pppoe in a terminal use sudo, see above.