Help with sabayon

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Tue Jun 20 11:48:31 UTC 2006

<rant>
I ended up removing sabayon and configuring everything by hand. It's
ridiculous that a tool that's supposed to help you manage users only
make it harder to manage users. You'd think that configuring the
applications menu would be a fairly standard thing to do. I mean, what
else do usually configure besides the menu and the background? Oh sure,
it's cute that you can pick sounds for window events, but is that really
what enterprises are concerned about? Or are they concerned about giving
the staff easy access to the applications they need? Maybe sabayon
really is supposed to configure menus (this is my guess). In that case
all I can say is that the dam thing is totally broken. Every time I
tried to configure menus they just reset, to the default. Eventually
sabayon simply stopped working. When I tried to edit a profile it'd just
stop, give an error that I couldn't fix (a file in /tmp was missing) and
stop. I tried reinstalling, rebooting, etc. All to no avail, the damm
thing just won't run. Meanwhile, the Gnome mailing lists are down, or
maybe they just don't like my email, so I can't talk to the people who
should know something about this. So in the end, I'm back to putting
files in /etc/skel. People might say that's clumsy, but at least that
works predictably.
</rant>

--
http://opendocumentfellowship.org
   "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the