Installing in existing LVM Volume Group?

Sarangan Thuraisingham sarangan.thuraisingham at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 21:27:25 UTC 2006

Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> Hm.
>>
>> I used the normal Desktop CD and ran the installer. It seemed to
>> recognise the volumes but then didn't display anything at all
>> at step 5. When I clicked on "Next" (after having selected nothing),
>> the installer crashed.
>
> Hm².
>
> I now used the alternate install CD and selected "install in
> text mode". It recognised the existing normal partitions but
> did not let me choose from the existing LVs. Should it have
> done so? What have I done wrong?
>
> Alexander Skwar

Hm. I didn't try to install from the text mode so can't help you there.
I installed Hoary and ever since I have been upgrading using "apt-get
dist-upgrade".

In Hoary at least, the partitioner allows you to create and edit
physical partitions and logical volumes. But Dapper desktop CD couldn't
handle LVMs. I don't know about the alternate CD.

My system just about works. I spent three days fixing broken stuff after
  the Dapper install. So I don't think I will do any tweaking etc. any
time in the near future.

Let me know if you are successful. Good Luck :)

Regards
  Saru