Installing in existing LVM Volume Group?

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Jun 12 22:35:20 UTC 2006

Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> writes:

> Alexander Skwar wrote:

>> Sarangan Thuraisingham wrote:

>>> Clunky, ha ha. It doesn't work at all if you try the normal LiveCD

>>> install. The GUI partitioner seems to recognise the volumes as

>>> separate disks. In the next step, where you select the root and

>>> swap partions, it only display physical partitions.

>> Hm.

>> I used the normal Desktop CD and ran the installer. It seemed to

>> recognise the volumes but then didn't display anything at all

>> at step 5. When I clicked on "Next" (after having selected nothing),

>> the installer crashed.

> Hm².

> I now used the alternate install CD and selected "install in

> text mode". It recognised the existing normal partitions but

> did not let me choose from the existing LVs. Should it have

> done so? What have I done wrong?

Probably nothing.  I had the same kinds of problems trying to install

in LVM partitions over SATA RAID (via dmraid).  The HOWTO seems to

indicate that it could "just work," once I have the partitions set up,

but of course it doesn't :(

--

Dave Abrahams

Boost Consulting