Help: configure networking

Morgan Greywolf morgan_greywolf at comcast.net
Sun Jun 11 19:24:36 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Hello Morgan,
>
> Thanks for the help. Comments below.
>
> Morgan Greywolf wrote:
>> Daniel Carrera wrote:
>>> Because this is an LTSP server, it will have a DHCP server in it. How
>>> do you configure that? Could that be the problem? This is the setup I
>>> want:
>>
>> Could be.  You need to make sure to make sure that DHCP server doesn't
>> touch eth0.
>
> Ok. I looked at /etc/default/dhcp3-server like you said and it looks
> like it is correctly setup. The only line that is not a comment is:
>
> INTERFACES="eth1"
>
> Does this mean that the DHCP server is probably not the reason why I
> can't get online through eth0?

To make sure, just disable the DHCP server (using either GNOME services
manager or by renaming all instances of /etc/rc?.d/S40dhcp3-server to
s40dhcp3-server (note the case difference).  Then try restarting
networking by:

$ /etc/init.d/networking restart

If you get an IP address through DHCP then you know your problem is the
DHCP server.