Help: configure networking

Morgan Greywolf morgan_greywolf at comcast.net
Sun Jun 11 01:52:09 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Then ran /etc/init.d/networking restart, but again, no luck. I got
> several lines of output, but this is what seems relevant:
>
> <quote>
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
> No DHCPOFFERSreceived
> No working leases in persistent database
> </quote>
>
> Where the '...' is another 6 lines like the DHCPDISCOVER line but with
> different values for 'interval' (no idea what that means).
>
> I've ruled out any problem outside the computer. I can plugin my
> laptop on the same ethernet cable and connect.
Yeah, that's pretty relevant.  What's happening is that dhclient3 (the
DHCP client on Dapper) is broadcasting a DHCP discovery request over and
over.  It's not successfully communicating with any DHCP servers.  Since
your laptop seems to, there is no problem with the usual suspects --
network cable, switch/hub, etc.  The interval is the just the nth
attempt to broadcast.

Which leads us to  a problem with the NIC

First off, something that puzzles me is that I see conflicting text
here.  In the lines quoted above, you are having trouble getting a
DHCP.  In the lines above that where you copy the ping results, though,
you show that you have an address, specifically 192.168.0.82:
> $ ping 192.168.0.12
> PING 192.168.0.82 (192.168.0.82) 56(84) bytes of data.
> From 192.168.0.12 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
> From 192.168.0.12 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable

Not sure why that is.  Did you assign one manually?

Anyway, what do the results of an lsmod look like?