Wine: MS Money 2004 + IE6

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jun 8 14:06:22 UTC 2006

Ylan Segal wrote:

> So, I figure that before I can install Money 2004 I need to Install IE6.
> I tried to do that by following instructions on the wine website where
> several options available:
> - winetools: Fails to create basic system
> - manual install: ie6 setup downloads the files from Microsoft, but
> cannot install them
> - ie4linux: installs everything and runs ie, however the gui is not all
> there, plus it installs in a non-standard directory and the MS Money
> 2004 setup doesn't find the explorer, so it doesn't work for me.

Yeah, I just don't get the point of that.  Sure, I understand that there's
some value to having multiple wine "bottles" but you _should_ be able to
install one of those IEs into your default wine.

> I tried everything I could think of, twice and got nowhere. Has anybody
> been able to install Money 2004 in Dapper? I appreciate the help, it is
> a critical app for me.

Try sidenet: http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/config.html

I won't guarantee it'll work, but it's come closer than anything else I've
tried.  Also, I was trying this on the weekend and came across something
about using regsvr to install iseng.dll (though I can't find that reference
now), which got me closer to a working IE install.

One of the best bug reports on the problem I found at WineHQ was closed with
the completely unhelpful message to "google for how to install IE" (never
mind that there was a genuine bug that needed fixing...).
--
derek