Adivce on Partitions

Ylan Segal ylan.segal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 21:15:05 UTC 2006

Sean Hammond wrote:
> The standard place to store media files would be in a folder in your
> home directory called 'media' or 'music' or something, which you can
> make a shared folder if you want.
>
> I don't see any reason to have music on its own partition, putting it
> on the /home partition seems fine.

As I mentioned in another response: My home directory will be encrypted
and there is no need for the music to be encrypted and it does add
complexity to backing up the rest of the data (because of the increase
in size).

> Apart from that your partitioning scheme seems sensible, and
> seperating /home from / will allow a no-hassle re-install. You have to
> make sure you give the / partition plenty of space though, because if
> it starts to fill up your system won't function as well.
>
> When installing, you can either let the installer create partitions
> for you (it will create a swap partition and a root partition, and
> /home will be on the same partition as root) or do them all manually.
> You will have to create the swap and / partitions as well as the /home
> partition yourself in the partitioner. This is very easy though. Just
> remember to make / plenty big enough and to mark it as bootable. The
> installer will suggest a size for swap.

That sounds good. So I will create /home and /music (possibly, but still
taking suggestions) manually and let the installer do the rest.

Thanks for the help,

--
Ylan

"The universe is not required to be in