Ubuntu is not free.

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 12 14:18:25 UTC 2006

Alan McKinnon wrote:

> This is not a passive action that has to be engaged in, it's an active
> one. "Oh dear, Ubuntu can't support 3D hardware without using
> proprietary drivers. I guess we'll have to watch people stick with
> Windows" isn't the attitude I'm advocating. There is only one department
> that has any real internal clout in most modern companies, and it's the
> Marketing department - make that department aware that significant
> numbers of customers are demanding that they change their ways, and
> watch what happens.

Well said.  I have to admit, I've often told people complaining about lack
of hardware support that "you wouldn't go out and buy hardware for a
Windows machine that wasn't supported in Windows, and you shouldn't go out
and buy hardware for a Linux machine that isn't supported."  You've made me
realize I'm not quite going about this the right way.  Next time I'm
shopping for something, I'll make my shortlist based solely on features,
buy the best one that _is_ supported in Linux - and write to all the other
manufacturers to tell them why they didn't get a sale.
--
derek